After receiving many personal book recommendations from colleagues and board members, I have quite a stack to go through this year. My sister Sarah told me about her one book a month goal for the new year last month so I decided to join her. My goal will be to read 12 books this year–a manageable amount for my lifestyle and commitment level. I’ve already learned so much already from the books I’ve completed; I am looking forward to continuing to learn as the year progresses.
- Radical Candor by Kim Scott – Status: COMPLETED
- Why We Love Music by John Powell – Status: COMPLETED
- Nice Girls Don’t Get the Corner Office by Lois P Frankel – Status: IN PROGRESS
- Getting to Yes by Roger Fisher and William Ury
- Reach by Andy Molinsky
- Your Song Changed My Life by Bob Boilen
- Isms: Understanding Art by Stephen Little
- How to Visit an Art Museum by Johan Idema
- Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl by N.D. Wilson
- Artspeak by Robert Atkins
- Simplify by Bill Hybels
- The Great Bridge by David McCullough
These books span various topics that I want to grow in: familiarity with art, music appreciation, faith, and negotiation. My goal in reading these books is to gain confidence in these areas so I can, for example, speak more fluently about art when I volunteer or negotiate design feedback efficiently with confidence.
What is on your list? How do you want to grow this year?